Friday, January 20, 2012

It's Time To Hannah Ware

She will no doubt be sporting a stylish ensemble, and her makeup will be fresh and modern, because, as you will see, this lady has great taste!
T.T.: It seems you are fond of a less-is-more approach to makeup. Do you think good skincare is essential to achieving that natural look?

H.W.: Most definitely. The less concealer and foundation the better, so your skin shows through. I have gradually changed my skincare regime. I’m using products that are more natural now. My skin was getting irritated from products with perfumes and
chemicals. Now I’m hooked on natural, because I can see the results.

T.T.: What products are you using now?

H.W.: To cleanse, I use Jurlique Gentle Foaming Cleanser, as it doesn’t strip my skin of moisture. I really like Eve Lom products, especially the Day Cream. I’ve been using a gentle exfoliator by Kate Somerville called ExfoliKate — my skin glows afterwards. At night I use Colbert M.D. Heal and Soothe Night; my skin drinks it up. To condition my lips, I really like Karite Lips Shea Butter Lip Balm.

T.T.: You prefer tinted moisturizer rather than heavy foundation. Do you then spot-conceal where needed?

H.W.: Yes, exactly. I like Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer when needed. Then I use her under-eye concealer. For blemishes or spots I use her Camouflage Concealer. It’s a little drier and stays put.

T.T.: What do you use to give your features just the right amount of definition?

H.W.: I sometimes go for an orange-y lip, because it goes with my warm complexion. I use a bit of lip balm first, then I line and fill in with Make Up For Ever lip pencil in 17C, a bright orange. Nars Heat Wave lipstick is another favorite of mine. Then I just curl my lashes with a Nars lash curler, and add a touch of my favorite mascara, Hypnose by LancĂ´me. If I want to put emphasis on the eye, I’ll use either Chanel’s Le Crayon Yeux in Coffee Bean, or I’ll dot Laura Mercier’s Bleu Marine Wet Eyeliner at the base of my lashes. With this I like a more matte, nude lip. My lips have a lot of natural pigment, so I need something with good coverage. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Belle Du Jour works well. I also lightly fill in my brows with Anastasia’s brow pencil in medium brown.

T.T.: Now that you’re not modeling, do you enjoy having more say in what kind of makeup you’ll wear?

H.W.: Yes! When you’re modeling you don’t have much choice in how you look. You sit back and let the team do their thing. As an actress, I am more free to choose how I want to present myself.

T.T.: Do you see yourself having any fillers or Botox down the road?

H.W.: I feel this is the face and body I was given, and it doesn’t seem right to me to mess with the natural aging process. I would like to age gracefully, making sure to take care of my skin as best I can. I was raised to appreciate my looks, but not focus on them. I try to put energy into what’s going on inside, and what kind of person I am. My priorities would have to be skewed if I were to have any of those treatments done.

T.T.: As far as your body, are you pretty particular with what you put into it?

H.W.: That is another thing. I try not to be too weight-obsessed. I just try to always eat fresh foods — nothing packaged, canned or frozen. I eat just about everything. I buy produce and meat locally. Also, I like dining out. New York is full of great restaurants! I really like Lupa for Italian, and Omai, in Chelsea, for Vietnamese. I have my daily piece of chocolate and my nightly cup of hot chocolate. I drink plenty of water and coconut water. But I also enjoy an occasional dirty martini or spicy bloody mary.

T.T.: We must not forget your lovely mane. Where do you go for cut and color?

H.W.: I go to Serge Normant at John Frieda, right across the street from the Carlyle. I’ve always been so happy with what they do.

T.T.: How about fragrance? Do you have ones you like for day and night?

H.W.: I was really obsessed with this oil I found at a boutique in my neighborhood, but I didn’t want to spend the money. My boyfriend recently bought it for me (yep, he’s a keeper!). It’s by MCMC, and the name of the scent is Noble. It’s amazing. That’s my usual daytime fragrance. At night, I usually go with any fragrance by Chanel. I love them all. I also enjoy For Her Eau de Parfum by Narciso Rodriguez.

T.T.: How about that pretty coral red nail color you have on — what is that?

H.W.: This is my favorite. It’s by Essie and it’s called Geranium.

T.T.: Who are some of your favorite designers?

H.W.: I adore the Ruffian boys — and their clothes, too! I also really like the designs of Thakoon and Matthew Williamson. I don’t go out shopping for anything in particular. I see something and it just sucks me in. I’m more of an accumulator than anything. My range in style goes from secondhand to high end.

T.T.: How do you stay in shape?

H.W.: Mainly it’s yoga. I enjoy that the most. I try to get to Equinox a few times a week. I also run quite a bit. I live in Carroll Gardens, which is good because there aren’t a lot people to knock into while running. I can be a bit of a klutz!

T.T.: Finally, a not-so-perfect quality! Any others you’d like to share?

H.W.: Well, I’m completely technologically challenged. Look at my phone [she pulls out a rather bulky mobile phone]. It’s not even a flip phone. But I’m O.K. with it. It has all become a bit of a techno-competition out there. People can spend up to three hours a day tweeting, texting, Skyping or on Facebook. That time could be used doing so many other more valuable, beneficial things. No one meets in person anymore. It’s depressing. There is no real interaction or engagement. It’s not nearly as romantic as sharing time with a person, which is a much richer sensory experience. In the long run, what people are doing with all this technology will be have a damaging effect on maintaining any real relationships.

T.T.: What is it you like most about acting?

H.W.: Getting into the nuances of a character, her psychology. Letting myself go and becoming another person, basically. I’m fascinated by people, and I can use that to grow as an actress. It’s challenging, but I’m up for it and looking forward to the experiences ahead.

T.T.: Are you looking forward to moving back to Chicago to shoot the next season of “Boss”?

H.W.: Chicago is great. The people are wonderful. I am looking forward to getting back to doing what I love. But I always end up missing New York so much. I pine away for its incredible energy.

nytimes

No comments:

Post a Comment